Friday 26 December 2014

51~How Vietnam Captured Christmas

'Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before! What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store. What if Christmas...perhaps...means a little bit more!'
~Dr. Seuss, How the Grinch Stole Christmas


Having been labelled a 'Christmas Witch' before, I have definitely evolved into more of a Christmas fairy over the recent years. I appreciate the time with family, the feasting, exchanging gifts, times with friends and the cosiness around the festive period. Gezellig is a Dutch word (one of those special words that are untranslatable in other cultures) that capture this perfectly. Eve and I, far away from the routines/celebrations of our families and the traditions of our countries, we talked A LOT about our Christmas'. Although Holland and England are geographically not a great distance from one another, it is amazing how differently we celebrate. One common thread though- Christmas songs. Which we played and sung along too throughout our day. We had a wonderfully special day; highlights were being in Vietnam together and skyping with our families. We managed to execute some Christmas routines, here in Asia, similar to that of back home. 

Here is a little glimpse of our day...

We started with presents around the tree (thank you. Mama Wolff for sending us the tree!):


We had both snuck off separately to purchase each other some surprise gifts- lots of coconut based presents, mangoes replaced oranges in the stocking and nuts rather than boxes of Roses!

Heading out on bikes at 7:00am, we were heading to our fave coffee spot and onward to yoga.
In England, I would be preparing great coffee first off too. So this felt pretty in keeping with my normal day, but even more special as it was my TRUE LOVE: Viatnames roadside coffee, made by our favourite lady. She is deaf and we communicate in sign language. Today we went further than our coffee order and communicated about how she thought we looked strong, how she runs this venture alone and how we all had no ring. This conversation felt like a present in itself. The sunshine too, as all other days have been cloudy. We were both, and our expert barista. in exceptionally good moods!


Coffee heavan and green tea delight (always served alongside a coffee and this green tea is unlike anything I have ever tasted- gentle with hints of vanilla and honey):


Waving good bye, we continued on our merry way. Last year I rode my bike to Mama Wolff's, so this was not so unusual. Eve, a Dutchie, is of course always using her pedalling legs- whatever day of the year!



Nothing says 'Merry Christmas' like being forced into the splits: 
Usually Steph, Adam and I perform some sorts of acrobatics on the living room floor. Again, not worlds apart from Wolff-y festivities.

Stretched within an inch of our lives, we headed for breakfast. Admittedly, pancakes are my normal indulgence on this day but I opted for omelette and stir fried veggies because I love it here. Eve had the pancake:
I was missing gingerbread this year. So a ginger, carrot and pineapple juice was a consolation. And probably healthier than the whole roof and side of the gingerbread house I devoured last year.
Well done Roomie and Jord for their wonderful gingerbread house they made this year on my request. I drooled over it via the Whatsapp. There seemed to be endless photo opps on the way home! Christmas displays at some of the posher hotels that we had not really noticed before:


Eve napped and I snacked on chewy banana and mango treats, enjoying the water of the pool and the warmth of the day.
We painted our nails by the pool. Sprucing up on the big day is somewhat obligatory. We were accompanied by Christmas songs and a crackling fire courtesy of youtube.
Lunch was a delicious Vietnamese soup made for sharing:

Chats with our families in the afternoon. We showered and made a little more effort than normal. Eve noted she was happy that I wore my flip flops still because she was worried I might have gone the full hog and worn shoes. Nope. A clip in my hair, a lick of mascara, a dress and extra blusher.



Coco Colada mocktails and a restaurant a little more upmarket. Pretty Christmassy. 

A game of roadside cards, while we waited for dessert. Eve: passion, pineapple and mango juice. Jess: watermelon and mango. We pulled over to get some banana bread too. Suddenly, we realised we were doing it Asian style. Defying all safety and traffic rules we would adhere to back home, we pulled in at the roadside and paid and ordered from there!


We began to watch a Christmas film I had downloaded, in PJs with the aircon on. Pretty lovely Christmas, eh girl? Eve said as we snuggled down. Yep, totally loved it. Thanks, girl for spending it in Vietnam with me.
This year, I have been on an adventure. A personal quest of trying new things in new worlds. I have loved every moment...


But a Christmas with family and friends from home? Nothing beats it. But, thank you, thank you, wonderful universe; I am glad to have spent it with an honorary sister, managing to replicate some traditions in an alternate world. That little grinch in me, my bah humbug, my little Christmas witchiness may have been laid to rest. Because, Mama Wolff & Co, I did miss you and all the loveliness you bring at Christmas. I will appreciate it all the more next year x x x

'Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmas-time.'
~Laura Ingalls Wilder




1 comment:

  1. Loving your Christmas day outfit and yoga mat in the basket on the front of the bike.

    Who doesn’t want to do the Christmas day splits! I forgot about mums magical unicorn slippers – i reckon with the amount of Prosecco and port we drank – this could have been possible!

    Your veggies look delicious! And - Coco Colada mocktails – Yes Please!

    We missed you my beautiful sister – but I agree on the Christmas witch front. This year I felt connected in a different way – thank you for quoting the below -
    'Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmas-time.'

    xxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete