Monday 26 January 2015

56~Safely Harboured in Sydney and Cultured in Canberra

Returning to Sydney was an absolute treat- yes, the big city had evoked loneliness but second time round I was taken under the wing of family. For a long while now I had been independent and I was unwilling to put myself upon others (apart from when it was seemingly random and serendipitous); I had not committed to plans or staying with this family, although via email it seemed I was more than welcome. Fortunately my extended 'long lost' family were easy as anything, extremely happy to meet me and welcomed me with incredible warmth. Cousin Matt came and collected me, taking me to a hip spot for dinner with the extended relatives. We called each other cousins but were unsure as to whether or not this was right. Seeing as I had a complete lack of plans in Australia, I was grateful that my family took me into their nest, with suggestions and offerings that would form my plans here. Just so happens that Mama Wolff's cousin is the Chief of the Australian Navy; so staying in a beautiful heritage house, on the naval base, with a fantastic view of Sydney Harbour was a surprising and appreciated accommodation. Beat the partying dorms of the hostels. And what a view:


The area around is stunning and the Barrett's love walking/exercise (like all he active Australians here in Sydney) so enjoying the neighbourhood daily, morning and dusk was just lovely.





I took myself off to Manly, enjoying the local ferry that takes you across to this picturesque part. I hired a bike and had a picnic, while my family went about their working days.




I hit the deck back home to enjoy the Sydney skyline, while attempting to blog.


Jenny, wife of Mama Wolff's cousin Tim, included me in everything and we enjoyed dog walks in the neighbourhood, dinner with her friends and she took me along to be part of the crew at the Sydney Harbour boat races. What a way to take in the harbour!












It was Jenny's last race; she and the family were being moved to the Navy quarters in Canberra. Our skipper bought a bottle of champagne and we enjoyed a glass in the afternoon sun of the docking area. Later, Jenny's friends cooked up a Thai storm in her kitchen. I loved the cosiness of the relationships here; I was unsure as to whether this was the general conduct of Aussies or if the Barretts just drew in a particularly lovely, welcoming crowd.


Next stop was Canberra to stay with Aunty Val and John. Jenny was making her way to Canberra so I had the luxury of a lift and nice chats for a few hours. Aunty Val and John made me feel one of the family, Val insisting she treat me like Matt and Lizzie (her children) and I treat the home as they would. So I had free reign in the kitchen cupboards and the dangerously alluring tray of mangoes on the kitchen counter (I had to touch base with Doctor O., worried after a three a day habit was leading to overload on the potassium and calorie front, he could not deny that a personal ban was a good idea...).


Val was quite something in the kitchen and we enjoyed gorgeous family meals together; trips in and around Canberra; great coffee (Val knows where to get the best cup); Val's gym; a weekend with Lizzie (she drove down from Sydney- the three hour journey considered a short road trip here) ; massage; early morning walks and lots of chatting! Val, having worked in Parliament House, was the perfect tour guide for the cultural spots of Canberra.





Aunty Val treated me to lunch at the Aboretum. The views were spectacular. The doming effect of the sky because of the vast lands seemed to be an Australian thing; in no other country had I been aware of the edges of the world and corners of the sky. It made my stomach flip with the beauty. Something I could not help to be surprised by was the quality of the food- the sophistication and cultural feel of Australia so far. A real passion for top nosh and coffee lovers here in Sydney and Canberra (and rumour had it that Melbourne was even more so!).



Jenny and Tim popped in for whistle stop pastries and coffee before heading for another Chief of Navy appointment. Was lovely to meet Mama Wolff's cousin and the effort that everyone was going to in order to meet a relative.

Lonsdale Street Roasters for a coffee post Body Balance with Lizzie and Val:


Lizzie and I headed out for an evening together. Opting for a shared love of Thai food and to watch the new 'Hunger Games' film. It was perfectly cosy and normal activity. Strangely, this is the one thing I have thought about: heading to Pizza Express with my besties and then to the cinema. By no means is this a weekly activity back home but I think it must represent the times when I am in a cosy, routined existence and heading to the cinema is a little luxury and treat. John and Val dropped and picked us up- it was just like we were teenagers. 

Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve was a highlight. Smelling the Australian bush, feeling the heat and seeing a sleepy koala, exotic butterflies and birds. But heading to the nature reserve to see such exotic creatures is not the only way to enjoy such wondrous creatures. From Sydney harbour where the Kookaburra chorus could be heard in the early morning sun, to Canberra where the neighbourhood birds dazzled in their vibrant exotic colours and majestic shapes, parrots and rose breasted cockatoos flitting casually by, while I stopped and gawped in my tracks. Kangaroos on an early morning hike stood staring before hopping off into the bush. Huge ants missioning around and beautiful butterflies unaware of the impression they left on this visitor.



But the real highlight of Australia so far: being in the family nook, welcomed with incredible warmth and love. It felt as snuggly as the sleepy koala in his little den.







































1 comment:

  1. Jess - just found all these blogs. Love that you felt so much a part of the Barrett family and that you had a chance to meet them all
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete