Saturday 7 June 2014

25~Love and Lobster in Lunenberg


New location for a spot of the old blogging… Viarail. Halifax to Sainte-Foy, to then catch a shuttle bus to Quebec City. I am in it for the long haul, recliner chair for a 20 hour journey across Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and into Quebec. Determined to get up to date within this epic leg of a journey. So throught the rain and mist that surrounds this train, I travel back in time, dissolve into memories...

Like a 
guardian Angel,
the Lighthouse stands,
Sending out hope into the night.
Like a faithful friend
Reaching out a hand
Bringing comfort, truth,
and light.

From my happy home in Yarmouth, I travelled back to my first love, Lunenberg. “Welcome home!’ Lorne calls as I get out the trusty beast that seemed to sail across Southern Nova Scotia this morning, my Dolly CD making the trip all the more lovely. He is weeding with a special little contraption (he says it is an addiction- the lawn looks perfect to me, so either he does a blooming good job or his addiction is OCD). He gives me a big hug and I have to say ‘Alicion B&B’ looks picture perfect. I note a few spruces in the short while I have been gone. New flowers, a sweet little patio area, paved to the side of the house, private and cosy with a table and chairs. There is a hive of activity in the living room and the spread looks fab, as do all the ladies! Wow, glad I picked up the flats; I have limited footwear options and converse/Uggs/flip flops/running trainers would just not do. Janet, Chrissy, Barb, Rick are all here, and some other Lunenbergians I did not meet the first time round. 

This wedding I have had the privilege of being invited to has quite a beautiful backstory. When I had left Lunenberg, I knew that Janet and Lorne were expecting her 80 year old mother to arrive the following week. Not alone. With her NEW BOYFRIEND. This was quite the talk at the BBQ amongst the girls. Chrissy, Barb and I both felt that there was hope for us yet. Janet’s mother Mary had fallen in love and was bringing her beau, Bernie, to meet Janet and Lorne. Naturally, the wouls saty for a week, a little respite in ‘Alicion’. When I am invited back to Lunenberg, I make the arrangements for the Saturday. Lorne then informs me that he and Janet are preparing for a wedding; Mary sprung it on her daughter at the airport- she had arrived not with a beau, but a fiancee. Lorne assures me that I they would love to have me there. It is a casual ceremony and the girls have never met Mary before so it is really a chance to support Janet and most importantly, celebrate love. If anyone could organise a wedding with 3 days notice and pull it off with grace and flair, it is Janet and the ‘Alicion’ setting is perfect



The groom joins the hustle and bustle in the living room. What a fire cracker! He is charming, funny and a Brit. He schmoozes with us ladies. Barb and I catch each others eye, laughing and a little shocked, mirroring each other with raised eyebrows. All us ladies receive a compliment. In this photo he is saying to me, “By golly, you have the sweetest looking lips.” 


When his bride to be joins us, he tells her, “Mary, there are a heck of a lot of beautiful ladies in this room. But you are the most beautiful of them all.” Barb and I look at each other, melting. 

This pair, both 80, look youthful and their love literally lights up the room. We all sit, Lorne takes Mary to Bernie and I am unsure as to whether there was a dry eye in the house. It is incredibly moving, beautiful, intimate, hopeful, pure, honest. A wonderful recipe of all these things, quite clearly, makes true love. With a little dash- well, actually- a huge dollop of passion. The ceremony ends with quite a kiss and Bernie makes it quite clear in a number of remarks that he fancies the pants off Mary (I do believe he told Barb, “She is gorgeous. And you know what? She is brown all over.”). Barb dedicates a song, we dance. Bernie grabbing the single gals and giving us a spin. We drink champagne and have a gorgeous cake. 


Rae-Ann and I arrange to go to the ‘Salt Shaker Deli’ for dinner. Lorne, Janet, Mary and Bernie will head out for a fancy meal later. Lorne and I race to get some lobster; he has read the blog and noted that my lobster linguine experience was held in high regard; he wants to show me the real thing. 

When I look at the pictures he takes, I have to message Mama Wolff. Mama, isn’t there a photo of me where I look exactly the same but I am 4? Sure enough she digs it out- uncanny, eh?




Mary and Bernie are exhausted and go for an afternoon kip. Janet says they sleep in till 10/11 in the morning. Some of the gang stay behind and we chat the afternoon away. Time is getting on and Bernie shuffles into the living room in his shorts and t-shirt, bed hair and looking a little crumpled, with his bright eyes a little wide, conveying a startled expression. We have been noisy- Barb presumes it to be her (she has got an amazing laugh and a very theatrical, expressive manner) but Bernie blames Janet. Already in the step fatherly role! 

Bernie joins us and tells us how he and Mary met. Mary had an arranged marriage to a much older man; she spent part of her life in the role of dutiful wife and loving mother. She has a disability that requires shoes to be made for her. Bernie was her cobbler. He always tried to make her blush, sneaking in a controversial comment or a slightly rude joke (Mary’s interjection to Bernie’s story). He always thought she was beautiful. Years went by and Mary’s husband had died. She bumped into Bernie and they had a cup of tea together. From there it has been quite the whirlwind. Bernie says, “I might be dead soon. Got to enjoy life while you can- we are not getting any younger.” He is so deadpan, I can not help but laugh. He winks at me. They are heading off to Europe for an organised trip on a bus in July. Janet later tells me that her mother is like a different person- rejuvenated, reenergised by the love she has found.

I am exhausted. After Rae-Ann and I have lots of lovely chats at my favourite little restaurant, I head straight to my ‘Dragonfly’ haven and collapse into my princess bed. I have breakfast with the other guests- two couples. One from Halifax who are having a weekend break away. She works in Truro for 911 call centre and the stresses of this can be intense. My only frame of reference os ‘The Call’ starring Halle Berry. She says that actually, there is some reality in this fictional story- the software, computers they use is identical, as is the training. She is unsure whether or not when she clocks off that she would go and investigate crimes. Well, it is Hollywood… Lorne and her partner have an interesting conversation about the state of the economy in Nova Scotia and the problems they see in the tourist industry. Lorne says that is extremely difficult for newcomers to set up camp here in the tourism industry, facing all sorts of adversity. Even from the locals. So it ain’t all the cinnamon and sunshine that I perceive it to be. Maybe if I attempted to move and set up something here it could take a while to assimilate. He is in web design and he agrees with Lorne, as they also compare how Prince Edward Island has a much more powerful advertising message in which to draw tourists.

The other couple from California are slightly cold. Considering they are from the warmer climate, Lorne and I are both a little taken a back , in particular, by the girl’s frosty and haughty attitude. I don’t know if Lorne puts something out in the Universe because I sit in my usual spot and the table is set for 5. I sit opposite the friendly couple from Halifax. Lorne brings the coffee through and says, “Oh dear. We have split the other couple up.” As he walks out, the three of us shoot awkward glances, thinking that the couple have argued and left or something along those lines. We then realise that he means they will not be able to sit together- so I move to the head of the table. The blonde, tanned couple arrive and I have to work hard to warm the girl up. She seems unimpressed by everything here. It is a business trip. She wasn’t flying all that way in a crappy little plane to just fly straight back so she took some extra days here. She does not really have anything positive to say. Nova Scotia does not love her and it starts to cloud over. I try not to let her kill my buzz. The couple that stay the next night and I share breakfast with, make up for the Californian couple. They look California. Fresh and full of smiles and adventure. I immediately warm to Ruslyn and her husband Brad- they look like they could be out of a commercial. They love yoga, biking and sailing. Ruslyn has a beautiful necklace and we share the stories behind our jewellery. She tells one gorgeous story that sticks with me. Her son was woking on a sailboat across some exotic workers. He and the others worked in shifts. One night they were all up- a pod of dolphins were swimming on the perimeter of their boat, under the canopy of stars and moonlight, with water which was phosphorescent. She has that love that only a mother has, moved still be her son's experience and his appreciation of it. She and Brad head off for a bike and a hike. Brad is quite the dreamboat but I reckon they both have a perfect match. We namaste each other but as I am chatting to Janet she rushes back in to give me a big hug. More than made up for the miserably Californians!!
A Lorne breakfast special shared with Ruslyn
and Brad

I go to do the same hike up at Gaff point but the weather is drizzly and it does not have the same effect of complete euphoria as the first trek but it is enjoyable all the same. I borrow Lorne’s bike and hit my coffee spot. It is incredible how different Lunenberg is after a week and a half. There is more people traffic and a trickle of tourists as the brink of the season is in motion. I liked it when it was all mine. I like it, love it still. It makes it seem even more special that I had it to myself those first days. Before I know it, I realise I am due back at ‘Alicion’. The gang are congregating for lobster. What fun and delish…





At bed time, I catch Mary at her bedroom door and she conspiratorially shares with me how happy she is. Mary did not expect to find love again, but she hoped to. She did not feel like being on her own and wanted a partner to enjoy life with. There is always a chance and a hope she tells me. Bernie shuffles by and we give each other a little smile, hug good night and I head up. 

The next day, I say good bye to the Lunenberg crew. Janet and I have a private moment where she shares her thoughts on yesterdays ceremony. It was so magical, I say. 


She agrees. You know, she says, everyone in that room is going through something. They are facing challenges in their lives. Being part of that moment in time was special for everyone there, it symbolised and embodied hope. We all need a bit of that. We all need to believe in lightness, love and happiness. We both well up as we discuss it and then the happy couple are there to say good bye too. I will see Bernie and Mary for a dinner in Victoria, B.C. Lorne and Janet say I can come back anytime. I pop to see Barb at the library where she is subbing. We have a lovely chat. I can just see her doing her story time for the kids. 

The workshops and events she runs sound so fun that if it was not totally in appropriate, I would sign up. Chrissy and I meet for a coffee. ‘One Stop Coffee Shop’ is also her favourite. She is such a smart, knowledgeable woman on so many fronts. I would love to stay and talk life with her. 
Chrissy here with a great hat


She sends me with instructions so that I will have a scenic drive to Wolfville. Jotting down somewhere to snaffle sweet potato fries, a place for a great view and a run down on must see spots on PEI. I leave and it is misty and a little grey. I watch the seagulls flock over the harbour. LM told me that they say seagulls are the souls of sailors lost at sea. I drive. I don’t need to look back. The love from the people here is like a beacon, a lighthouse in the distance, with the power to shine, luminate hearts… no matter how far away they are.


“Black met black on the distant horizon, the stars alone distinguishing sky from lake. On the sand below, Silver Beach glittered at the water's edge while on the north side of the river the lighthouse's beacon signaled safe harbor.” 
~ Erin Farwell, Shadowlands

...I will be your lighthouse, if you will be my sea...

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful charming couple my best regards and hugs for you Lorne from Chile

    ReplyDelete
  2. You looked far more chilled out with the lobster, aged 4 Jess!
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't have Mama Wolff to hold my hand this time round; some things do change! ;-) Although technology permitted a skype conference later!! x x x

      Delete
  3. Jess - in the photo there is the brown mixing bowl on the counter which I still use!! You and Steph were very disappointed when you came down the next morning (the lobster was for a dinner party) and your new pets had gone.......
    The wedding looked and sounded beautiful - what a story of love and hope. It must have been written in the starts when you researched and booked the Alicion for your birthday. The place and the people will always be part of your life now - you are lucky as are they.

    Lots of love Mama
    xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete