Wednesday 14 May 2014

19~A Thousand Times Good Night: Heroes, Dates and Lasts in NYC

JULIET
A thousand times good night!
Exit, above
ROMEO
A thousand times the worse, to want thy light.

Love goes toward love, as schoolboys from

their books,

But love from love, toward school with heavy looks.
Retiring
Re-enter JULIET, above
~William Shakespeare 


My time in the Big Apple was coming to an end. My last week was dotted with the same sadness as when I left my Amsterdam home. A last week of New York lasts. In order to try and get up to speed and date, I will ATTEMPT to not go on and summarise the time spent (it does not always have to be all so wordy, eh?) and not digress too much... I am writing this on a flight from Montreal to Halifax, have tales of Boston and thoughts to pull together, as well as some moments to share from Montreal.

My last weekend in NYC was great. Lyd and I made that all important ‘Penelope’s' brunch; there was yoga; sunshine; no mouse; a business meeting with Lyd before she went off to New England (we have a very cool plan in the pipeline); a Broadway Show; Sunday night movie date with Anna A and of course, New York, New York. Our little network of peeps organised a night at a Broadway Show; they treated me, an advance birthday gift, to see 'Rocky the Musical'. I was evidently susceptible to advertising; the underground posters were pretty striking (so much better than the diet coke, banking, divorce for $300 poisonous advertising that hits you hard) and my trip to Philly had kindled my curiosity. It was definitely not Princess Smartypant’s bag but she is always open to something different; Anna A had to check reviews before committing; Sabir had never seen a musical before and was interested and it was actually his sweet thought to take me for my birthday. We all enjoyed it on some level. The staging was very impressive, as was some of the singing. Although Rocky’s solo about a broken nose started off daft and remained so- couldn’t get on board with that one. 

Watching ‘The Amazing Spiderman 2’ with it’s New York setting was exhilarating; I had just walked past the buildings some of those neighbourhoods and building that day and was mesmerised by a Spiderman’s vantage point of the city.
Everyone talks about that familiarity of New York when you arrive; this city is so iconic, a blue print in many minds that have watched TV or films. It makes it feel surreal when you arrive. Deja-vu. Dreamlike. So my visual comprehension of the city was so step-off-the-street fresh and real, I did not have to suspend belief. I was there. (The romance had us both hook line and sinker too. A kiss on the bridge, with that New York view? That Spiderman knows how to woo a girl in NY. Needless to say, we were both extremely distressed, almost put out, by the Gwen and Peter Parker outcome.) When we exited the cinema, literally onto the street where a showdown in the movie happens, Anna A and I both would not have been surprised if Spiderman sailed by us. A weekend of heroes in NYC.

Anna A and I got one more meet in. Sabir, Lyd, Anna and I all met in Bryant Park behind the Public Library in the early evening sun. We sat in the Children’s Reading Room, sharing a bag of cherries Lyd and I had picked up from a street vendor. Jackpot! They tasted great and Bryant Park was atmospheric in the last warm hours of the day: office workers finished for the day; people reading, jugglers practicing; chess players challenging; loungers on the grass; table tennis; people snacking; chatting; meeting. It is gorgeous there.

Like Lyd says, New York is just really good at public spaces. A green haven in the cacophony of traffic, enclosed by  a layer of lovely trees and then a second layer of skyscrapers. Sabir has class but the three Hull Princesses (as PG greets us when we arrive) head to Queens to enjoy, you guessed it, food.
Queens, we arrive for dinner and the sun is setting
Thai food. We have a delectable dinner and then top it off by sharing a coconut brownie from 'Aubergine'. We sit on a bench in the moonlight. Anna and I share a brownie and Lyd and PG save theirs. Lyd will stay in Queens, I will head to Uptown and Anna is Brooklyn bound. Anna and I share lovely words and a big hug. She is so thoughtful, placing a gift in my hands with a whisper of, ‘It is for you to open on your birthday.’ I wait for the subway alone and overlook NYC skyline from a beautiful point, almost as good as the one Spiderman gets. I breathe in the panoramic view.

(Just now, I look out the window and in stark contrast, surprise myself with a bird’s eye view of Novia Scotia. We are descending and I cannot wait to get friendly with this neck of the woods.)




One day left and Lyd and I deemed it our date. It was perfect. Where: Bryant Park, Children's Reading Room (we LOVE children's fiction, Lyd is currently reviewing some too) When: 3:15 into the evening What: Bryant Park; Public Library Steps; Queens Museum; Thai Food at 'Centre Point'; coconut brownie at 'Aubergine'; Staten Island Ferry at sunset to see her, the Statue of Liberty and finally home. 
'Cafe Champignon' last-
Lyd let me wear her star t-shirt for last yoga

Last chance: blueberry smoothie between yoga classes


3:15 Scene 1- I was fresh from yoga. I managed to squeeze in a morning packing session, then two yoga classes with my favourite two teachers. Lyd was fresh from a seminar, and honey, she was not bringing her computer on this date. No Sireee. It was just me and her, no distractions of work. We bask in the sunshine, we head on the subway (love the overground section of Queens). The museum holds the Panorama of the City of New York, featured in a favourite children's book: 'Wonderstruck'. I have read it to two classes and am currently reading it to my 29 year old brother. You are never too old for children's fiction! We relive some moments from this mutually loved book.






At Centre Point we are determined to not make an error and order two take out papaya salads for lunch the next day. I can eat mine on the bus to Boston. Lydia is worried she may cave sooner, the smell torturous. 'Aubergine' are out of brownies. Lyd remembers that she had not finished her cake from the previous night and she has the keys to the Queens apartment. We sneak in and snaffle it away, hoping that when PG returns he is not pinning all his after dinner hopes on it. While we are there, we realise, to our horror, that our take out salads are leaking the precious papaya elixir. This is such a perfect date; we both syphon it out of the carrier bags to rescue every possible drop, licking our fingers. How many dates could you do this in front of, really?
Papaya salad- we are pretty cheap dates and easy to please


Staten Island ferry. I fall a little in love with her. The Statue of Liberty. Wow. She really is beautiful. We are both enraptured by her. Lucky we are not prone to jealously, otherwise this date could end badly. She stands. Stoic and protective in beautiful mint green tones while the whole of the city provides an awesome backdrop. It glistens and twinkles, effervescent, and alive with that inexplicable New York magic. 


JULIET

'Tis almost morning; I would have thee gone:
And yet no further than a wanton's bird;
Who lets it hop a little from her hand,
Like a poor prisoner in his twisted gyves,
And with a silk thread plucks it back again,
So loving-jealous of his liberty.
ROMEO
I would I were thy bird.
JULIET
Sweet, so would I:
Yet I should kill thee with much cherishing.
Good night, good night! parting is such
sweet sorrow,
That I shall say good night till it be morrow.
Exit above
~William Shakespeare 

So I exit now. The curtain closes on New York, and Princess Smartypants for now. Good night, New York, Good Night! Parting is such sweet sorrow, that I shall say good night till it be morrow.
Exit above

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures and memories to treasure. I so wish I was in New York right now - the open spaces, familiarity, skyline - just as you describe. Bet it was absolutely amazing seeing Spider-man then stepping right out into the same streets - unreal! Looking forward to hearing all about Boston :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was great watching Spiderman and then stepping out :-) glad the descriptions resonate for you in particular- as such a dedicated NYC lover x x x

      Delete